.....It has been two years since starting university life... two years since being awaken by the cold waters of an ocean where most (99%) of the Chinese population speaks Mandarin....
A brief history: In kindergarten, I wrote 4 Chinese characters, threw the book and told my mom I refuse to go to a Chinese school (I guess I was strong-willed even from young...) In primary and secondary school, my friends mainly spoke English, and I only picked up Cantonese in secondary school (just a little bit). Even in Form 6, the main medium was English...
Then came university.... it was a shock. The first year I did not mix much... just enough to get the assignments and group works done. But then I decided it was a sink or swim, so I decided to swim by taking initiative to pick up the language. Hence my Mandarin vastly improved since the first semester. (though my coursemates still get a good laugh when I speak sometimes, it's ok, I laugh too when they try to speak Cantonese....) They still get surprised when I am able to finish a whole conversation in mandarin....
Well that is my story. But then I recently found another way to get around this language barrier...
Chinaman:
Bananas of CCC (chinese cultural club):
The two songs show other bananas that band together and announce it proudly rather than blending with the rest.... not that I can or intend to disappear into a crowd =D the songs are hilarious, just be prepared for pitching problems...
No comments:
Post a Comment