My favorite quote for many years has been "Nothing is to be feared, only understood" by Marie Curie. While I did not know of her accomplishments when I adopted that quote, the words just felt so inspiring. It was only later when I decided to do a little research on her when I found out that she is an amazing person. According to Wikipedia, she is the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, only woman to win in different fields (only one other person has done this) and only person to win in multiple science (Physics and Chemistry).
Being a female back in those days made it much harder to shine and be acknowledged. But despite the odds, she managed to just that. After her husband's death, she was entrusted with his chair at the Sorbonne physics department and became the first female professor in that university. She also went on to contribute to the science field by founding an institute which later housed more Nobel prize winners. Her final recognition was to be buried at the Pantheon, Paris. While she was not the first woman to have her final resting place there, she was the first to have done so on her own merits.
Perhaps the quote was important back in school where we as students always get so scared when it comes to tests and exams. Or when learning something totally new like the first exposure to Add Maths. It was even more terrifying when all the seniors tell you that you will fail without a doubt. Having that quote soothes me, calms the mind to concentrate on understanding the lesson at hand rather than being distracted by the fear of not knowing. Even after leaving the safety of education grounds, the quote is still relevant as we are often scared when faced with the unknown. It is simply a reminder to stay calm, look at the issue objectively, find the solution and solve it. "Knowing is half the battle." ^^
Happy 144th birthday Marie, you are still an inspiration.
p/s - Perhaps the only thing that I still fear is heights especially when there is no sturdy grip/protection. Why? Because I understand that if I fall from that particular height, it would be the end =D

No comments:
Post a Comment