A friend put this question to me 'what will you be in 20 years'
I replied with my usual story: Graduate in 2 years, get a job at a 4/5/6 star hotel, climb up the corporate ladder, when enough experience and capital open a restaurant and within 5 years get it franchise out.... she asked me if I had details on how to get there.... I told her the other extreme would be after graduating, get a job, meet a CEO, get married and live happily ever after =D
To put it simply, my aim or goal is to be happy and there are a million roads to that destination... being happy is a state of mind.... if you want to be happy, you will be.... I was no where near happy when I first started my degree... but I make the best of it and now the juniors think that I got my first choice....
Then she followed up with another question: What do you think of people that do not plan.... well in all fairness, it is their choice. To me there are two type of people that do not plan.... one that does not give a damn about life and the other is one that take life one step at a time. I guess I am the latter....
Why plan for 20 years ahead when we might not live for another year? I am amazed at people that know what they want from young and go all out for it. They are motivated and know not the meaning of giving up. But it is not for me.....
Life is a long journey. Sometimes if you are so set on the destination, you forget there are many good detours or even a better destination for that journey. The journey is just as important as the final destination. So enjoy every moment of the journey.....
Tired from frying 49 eggs.....
I replied with my usual story: Graduate in 2 years, get a job at a 4/5/6 star hotel, climb up the corporate ladder, when enough experience and capital open a restaurant and within 5 years get it franchise out.... she asked me if I had details on how to get there.... I told her the other extreme would be after graduating, get a job, meet a CEO, get married and live happily ever after =D
To put it simply, my aim or goal is to be happy and there are a million roads to that destination... being happy is a state of mind.... if you want to be happy, you will be.... I was no where near happy when I first started my degree... but I make the best of it and now the juniors think that I got my first choice....
Then she followed up with another question: What do you think of people that do not plan.... well in all fairness, it is their choice. To me there are two type of people that do not plan.... one that does not give a damn about life and the other is one that take life one step at a time. I guess I am the latter....
Why plan for 20 years ahead when we might not live for another year? I am amazed at people that know what they want from young and go all out for it. They are motivated and know not the meaning of giving up. But it is not for me.....
Life is a long journey. Sometimes if you are so set on the destination, you forget there are many good detours or even a better destination for that journey. The journey is just as important as the final destination. So enjoy every moment of the journey.....
Tired from frying 49 eggs.....
3 comments:
Agreed!
it wasn't 20 years, it was "the next 5 years"...
oh is it? haha coz i only remembered telling you more than 5 years... 5 years it too short... 2 years already taken up with studies....
Post a Comment