In another 5 weeks or so, my final studying semester would end. Though I have another semester to go, that would be my practical training and does not count as university life. Now that this chapter is coming to a close, it seems to be an automatic response to reflect on the life I had in the university. It is also to remember this part of life as it is now, and not forget it in the future. In this part, I will reminisce about the education itself.
I was rather shocked with the courses necessary to graduate from this program at first. Though a bachelor of science, there were more business, management and cooking courses than science ones. Though as time passed by, I realized that this program seems tailored to the path that I am expected to walk, that is to open a restaurant. That is when I wonder if it was a coincidence yet at the same time it also made me rethink about this path.... a restaurant is not as easy to operate as people may think.... though looking at my aces for all business, accounting and management courses, perhaps I am meant to be in the business field.
The program covers everything that a person will need to manage a restaurant, it also covers all aspects from the front of the house to the back of the house... it encompasses the practical business and management side, the creative side of cooking, scientific background and knowing the food down to the atoms, as well as the interaction side of languages...
Through class I have learnt to work under lecturers that are varied in nature... worked with course mates that are from all walks of life.... and lead projects that are big and small. It is not only the class lessons that are important, it is the other things that is learnt along the way that are just as critical to making me the way I am today. Working with people is one of them along with leadership and public speaking skills. Learning to give what is wanted besides what is requested is also an important skill... or as one of the lecturer said "to read my mind"...
Actual academic knowledge is aplenty if you really stop to think about it. Though most courses only skim the surface of each specific knowledge... yet at the end of the day, the program gives a complete overview of the food industry. The question is, would a jack of all trades and master of none be a great manager?
3 comments:
the true measure is only when you work in the real world. uni life is still very confined.
if you survive, you're good to go!
Frankly speaking... you cant be a jack of all trades, but at the same time you cant really be specialized... At some point or another, you would kinda wish you were both...
lish: i guess so.... i guess practical would be the first try in the real world ^^
s2k: so....... i'll be jill of all trades? ^^ people are never at either extreme.... it's just a matter of the which direction away from the mid point...
eh you guys check my blog often ke? so fast got comment......
Post a Comment