Wednesday, September 23

Pink Peach Piece

Holidays means family time... family time usually means traditional food.... especially seasonal/occasional ones =D
This time we made dumplings and pink peach kuih (I can't think of a direct translation to english for this...)

My grandma making teo chew dumpling that has sweet and savory layers
(I wanted to learn but she had limited leaves.... so she gently told me to try next time with plain rice first.... no matter how good my chef thinks I am in the kitchen, my grandma thinks I am handicapped....)
Some of the fillings (clockwise from top-left: vegetarian, savory meat, sweet)
Pink Peach Kuih....
First we add hot water to the flour
Next is to kneed it until it becomes a dough and add a few drops of red colouring
(use a wooden spoon.... it's too hot to handle)
Then small balls of dough are formed...
... and stretched.... (I failed this part....)

... put in the fillings (either pre-cooked rice or crushed yellow beans)

Close up the dough around the fillings....

... and stuff it into the mould!

Even-out the kuih....

.... and knock it out!!!

They are then placed into baskets and steamed.... before eating we usually pan fry it for awhile and it is eaten with sweet black sauce... mmmmmm......

This is how many hands involved in the process... all while chatting and catching up ^.^


Dreaming of pink kuihs.........

4 comments:

SimianD said...

Looks yummy!

By the way, I love pink. And I must say the cameraphone doesn't do justice to the pinkness.

Velvia rules!

Valerie said...

please never ever go out with a pink shirt (a pink pants would be scarier still).... i'll pretend i don't know who you are....

I think the pink is just about right... it's not suppose to be bright pink anyway =D

velvia would have cost me so much more for these shots... plus the mistakes....(is the price worth the slight better colour...?)

SimianD said...

I have a pink shirt which I like very much. And I just got a light blue t-shirt with pink collar and sleeve borders. ;-)

Velvia would have cost more, yes. But I think it is definitely worth it for the colour, especially if you know how to use it well (which even I have much to learn).

I mean, it's like asking if real lemon juice is better than lemon flavouring. That's the difference between Velvia and cameraphone.

Valerie said...

you can like your pink stuff... just don't wear it out lol...

actually, there's a lime powder available in the market that is very similar to real lime/lemon juice.... imagine making ice-lemon tea in bulk... this powder is so much easier and the taste is comparable =D