Thursday, July 9

I can't believe this!!!

This was my lecturer's favorite line when describing how students answer pages and pages of nonsense for exams.... and he only asked them to list a few things....

But I would like to use this line to describe my feelings towards today's news.... Science and Maths to be taught in BM and the mother tongue of respective vernacular schools.... Oh come on, just when I thought the education system is improving they do something to bring it back to ground zero.

If they can import teachers to teach English, I am sure they can get teachers to teach Science and Maths in English. It is not about the importance of the language used but rather which is easier to learn the subjects. Talking to some of my friends from Chinese schools, they complained that it was hell to study Science in Mandarin because the translations were very different. Besides that, it is easier to find information on the net in English. There are many more English sites that can help children learn the fun way (much of my basic for Science and Maths was from games =D).

It always seem strange to me that they want to change primary and secondary school education for Science and Maths to BM but not the A-levels/College/STPM and university level. How do they expect the students to suddenly adapt to a change in language? Maybe this is why some good students from secondary school can't do well in universities and work. Or perhaps students are not expected to further their studies?

When I was working with a company under a university exhibition, the business owner asked me why everyone was speaking in their own mother tongue and not English. In her company, if you can't speak English, you won't get hired. Simple as that..... I also noticed that usually in bigger companies, those holding higher positions are usually fluent in English as well as other language.

On a personal note, I think being able to speak English is important for inter-racial relationships. My last three movie dates were with guys of different races (strangely none of them Chinese...) and one of the only girl I kept in touch with from uni is a Malay girl...... the link? We all prefer to speak English as a means of communication....

*surprised at the number of spelling corrections this time....*

Oh so tired from long day.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

2 comments:

SimianD said...

You're welcome ;-)

Apparently the modern Velvia does not suffer from the human skin saturation that the original Velvia did. So yes, it can be used even for people.

But Velvia is a slow film (ISO 50) and therefore is not practical for moving people or low light situations.

People pictures on a beautiful sunny day should be spectacular, though, especially if everyone's dressed colourfully. Go try it!

Valerie said...

haha...... i'm so busy with university things that i've not even touched the camera recently...

wait till next hols first la =D we go for photography trips again...