Wednesday, August 29

Meaty Birthday Cake

Each birthday brings a new opportunity to create (more like experiment with guinea pigs that cannot escape ^^) with new cakes. For his birthday last year, I made Coffee Butter Cake which looked quite pretty with the weaved icing and flowers.... yeah it was a tad too pretty for a guy... but there were no complaints. 

So this year, I made up to him with a totally masculine cake with ideas from Ashley... a cake that does not have any sugar at all! Inspiration came from his love of pork and the pipability (this word does not exist in the dictionary) of mashed potatoes. The weaved bacon idea was a combination of the weaved design on the previous cake as well as the bacon basket salad dish that was shared on FB by a friend. 

It was quite different from handling a normal cake as the potatoes are harder to pipe due to its texture (also did not help that I tried piping it hot). The bacon weave was also complicated as the strips were not long enough to cover the whole cake. In the end I just used half of it but when all is said and done, I loved the result:


 A Meaty Birthday Cake


A Slice of Porky Goodness

I loved that it actually looks like a cake (kinda like carrot walnut don't you agree?). 
Oh the ramekin behind the cake is a mini shepherd's pie (lamb stew with mashed potatoes) as we had a friend present that does not eat pork. 


The Dinner Table

Yes I made sure that they ate some vegetables too =D

*looking for new cake ideas*

No comments: