Friday, December 18

Not an End but a Beginning?

As the year of 2009 comes to a close and 2010 approaches, it is time again to reflect on the year that has been, review the resolutions made and to make new ones. Out of my 3 main resolutions made last year, I managed to accomplish 2... the third one was a long shot anyways.... but then I did put a lot of effort into it and reaped slight rewards so no loss there ^.^

I watched Christmas Carol today.... got spooked a few times.... it is a good movie (I really do not understand how you [you know who you are] can fall asleep during the movie), true to the actual story says a friend of mine. Love the flying scenes... Anyways, though the story has be told and retold, I am most fascinated with the three spirits and how one affects the other....

The past will shape us, our personality, character, the core of how we think, feel and react to the world. What we want (or do not want) in the future will determine what we do in the present. A lecturer of mine told us, there are 2 forces of motivation. One is pushing away from what we dislike is one that is pulling us towards what we like. For example, Scrooge is motivated to push away from being poor rather than being pulled to the riches though it would seem the same at first...

To have that motivation for living, one must first know what he or she wants in life... each entitled their own priority, non more important than the other as long as it is important to the person. The question that I would like an answer now is.... Do I know what I want? Or are resolutions just to fill up the empty spaces? Like studying because there is nothing better to do. Merely to give a reason for existence?

Do you know what you want?

4 comments:

yinkoon said...

Valerie,

Things are better handled when live in the present. To know what to desire is want thing, to work for it is another thing.

Valerie said...

It is good to live in the present, but to me, life without a purpose is not a life.... hence a purpose would be something we want in the future... besides, without effort, nothing gained is worthwhile ^.^

Someone told me 'Dreams are not what we have when we sleep at night, it is what keeps us from sleeping at night...'

Ss said...

Sometimes knowing what you want in life kinda sucks... coz what you want in life can change... it sometimes help to have a dynamic goal in life...

however, the ambiguity will kinda make you confused at some point...

Valerie said...

there's long term wants and short term wants.... most people's long term wants is basically to be happy... and short term wants will go towards that.

so yeah i guess in a way a dynamic goal would be best.